Monday, November 9, 2009

Shoot the Moon ((Experimental Snippet, Yo.))

So, yeah. I was rifling through the 'Shoebox of Doom' folder on my PC this morning, and I came across this bit. I totally forgot about it, but as I scanned it, I had to grin. Because this was one of my favorite 'bits'. It was awesome. If y'all could read it, maybe give me some feedback? Much obliged.

------------------

“Cassity, wait!” I grabbed her sleeve as she moved for the door. “What do you mean, ‘back home’? You said you’ve lived here all your life.”
She calmly removed her arm from my grip and turned away. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow, Oliver.”
I watched her leave, watched her shining blue bracelet flash as it went out of sight. The bracelet that would go berserk from time to time, causing Cassie to suddenly have to leave. The same bracelet that she nearly killed a man to get back. The bracelet that she would continue to leave me in the dark about whenever I asked about it. I sat there for a moment, bewildered, and it finally all clicked. “Cassity!” Launching myself out of my chair, I flew into the hall and towards the front door. She was pulling on her raincoat, and her singular piece of jewelry was still shining like mad. “Cassie, wait! Let me talk!” She was still ignoring me as she slipped into her boots and reached for the door handle. I pushed her gently out of the way, locked the deadbolt, and turned my back against it, blocking her way out. “You aren’t human, are you?”
“I’m as human as you are, Ollie.” Her green eyes were so calm, so collected. It frustrated me.
“Then you’re from the future!”
She finally smiled, but it was a sad kid of smile, and I hesitated. She motioned me aside, and I found myself complying, wondering why she looked so cheerless. “Am I right?”
“No, Oliver,” she said, shaking her head. Undoing the deadbolt, she twisted the knob and let the door swing wide.
It was pouring.
She turned and smiled again, her green eyes looking more morose than anything I’d ever seen. Her bracelet twinkled still, a radiant diamond on her wrist.
“You are from the future,” I breathed.
Again, she shook her head. “No, Oliver. I’m from the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment